Tuesday 20 April 2010

Order your Tesco.com groceries through a Facebook app

As we get more customers onto our new 'Project Martini' grocery service, the time is coming when our army of third-party developers can unleash their Tesco Grocery API powered applications on the world.

One of these developers is James Mills, an IT programmer who came along to our Tesco TJAM day back in August last year.

James has developed a Facebook application called 'My Shopping Assistant' which allows Facebook users to shop groceries with us.

If you're a Facebook user, take a look by following this link:

As soon as the API defect list is completed (so there aren't any defects!) and all our customers are moved across (a couple of weeks or so) then James will really be able to power the application up. Even now you can perform some of the core functions of grocery shopping through James's Facebook app.

James is also working on a shopping application for the O2 Joggler device that uses the Tesco Grocery API - he has a video of it in action here - fantastic work, James!

You'll see more third-party applications using the Tesco Grocery API coming on-stream in the following weeks. If you're a third party developer who uses our API, send me some blurb about your application and I'll announce it here when you're ready for launch.

Update: Text in this article was altered - changed 'My Grocery Assistant' to its correct name of 'My Shopping Assistant'.

2 comments:

  1. When are we going to be allowed to download a store for tesco finder instead of accessing the Internet. I work in tesco 2327 and reception is poor

    when are staff discount cards going to be supported on the tesco clubcard application - it's a needed application as most peoples are faulty - when will it be supported on self service

    does it work at self service in any store as tesco 2330 has different scanners to my one

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nick
    I am a long standing customer of tesco.com, and as we live within 1/2 mile of a tesco store so, myself and husband are extremely frequent vistors.
    We've been on holiday for a few weeks and have come back and tonight decided to order a bulky shop online. OMG what have you done to the website. My initial reaction was thats it i'm not shopping on line anymore. Its now took me 1 hour 55 minutes to process my order, thats for a £120 shop - too long.
    Plus points are that yes - the site is quicker.
    Yes, its good when you look at the right hand side of the screen on check out it lists in categories, which is useful.
    Negatives are -
    maximum of 40 items on a page - crazy - then you are clicking through a million pages to browse what you want. Yet on the favourites page it allows 100 items per page - don't understand that.
    It takes to many clicks to get to the item you want - you can't for instance click on fizzy drinks then select mulitpacks like you used to - you have to scroll through however many pages to find an item you want - thats if you don't know what particular product you want and have.
    The end procedure about having to check every product if you will accept a different product if not available is also an absolute joke and actually fills me with doubt and no confidence at all that i am 1. going to get the right product and 2. is this a way of Tescos making sure every product in my home is Tesco branded whether i like it or not because i am giving them licence to substitute every product i order.
    Also my back orders aren't there any more, they have all been merged into the all favourite list.
    The site has gone from in my opinion user friendly to not user friendly.
    I actually feel , after reading the above unsure whether i would use the site again.
    Although a totally sexist comment i personally believe the site could have only been designed by a man, because a woman wouln't i believe made the fundamental mistakes you have made.
    I do hope you appreciate my comments, however harsh they may be and when the site is updated please let me know and i will perhaps return to using Tesco.com again.
    Kind Regards
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

As this blog grows in readership - and because it carries the Tesco brand - I have had to become more careful about the sort of comments that are acceptable. The good news is that I'm a champion of free speech so please be as praising or as critical as you wish! The only comments I DON'T allow through are:

1. Comments which criticise an individual other than myself, or are critical of an organisation other than Tesco. This is simply because they cannot defend themselves so is unfair and possibly libellous. Comments about some aspect of Tesco being better/worse than another equivalent organisation are allowed as long as you start by saying "in my personal opinion.." or "I think that...". ... followed by a "...because.." and some reasoned argument.

2. Comments which are totally unrelated to the context of the original article. If I have written about a mobile app and you start complaining about the price of potatoes then your comment isn't going stay for long!

3. Advertising / web links / spam.

4. Insulting / obscene messages.


Ok, rules done - now it's your go: